West Bay Orthopaedic Medical Group
1850 Sullivan Avenue, Suite 330
Daly City, California 94015
Tel: (650) 756-5630
Fax: (650) 756-0136
Leslie H. Kim, M.D.
Dr. Leslie Kim is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon in active general practice with sub-specialization in shoulder and knee arthroscopy. His special interests include sports medicine, workers compensation, forensic (medico-legal) orthopaedics, and health care innovation. Dr. Kim is a graduate of Stanford University and Stanford Medical School. He completed general surgery internship and orthopaedic surgery residency at UCLA. He also received post-graduate fellowship training in arthroscopic surgery, orthopaedic trauma in Munich Germany, and reconstructive surgery at Scripps Clinic. Following Dr. Kim's formal training, he gained additional experience while working at the Olympics and serving as a local college team physician, as well as expertise in the workers compensation system as the medical director of a large statewide medical group.
Dr. Kim is presently the chair of the orthopaedic surgery department at Mills-Peninsula Hospital in Burlingame, and on staff at Seton Medical Center. He has a long standing commitment to numerous state and national organizations servicing the medical profession and community. Physician colleagues have elected him President of the California Orthopaedic Association, President of the San Mateo County Medical Association, Trustee on the Board of the California Medical Association, and Executive Committee member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Board of Councilors. Another ongoing passion of his is the use of information technology to enhance patient-centered health care. His experience in this area date from college honors research on a mainframe computer at Stanford to his current involvement in telehealth and cutting edge health apps/sensors for patient engagement.
Outside the office, Dr. Kim is a sports fitness and physical conditioning enthusiast, who has participated in competitive triathlons and marathons. Having been born and raised in Hawaii, he enjoys a variety of water sports and outdoor activities, ranging from sailing and diving to skiing and trekking in the Himalayas.
Curriculum Vitae for Leslie H. Kim, M.D.
- University of Hawaii Honors Program, 1969-1970, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Stanford Overseas Campus, 1971, Clivedon, England
- Hopkins Marine Station, Graduate Oceanography, 1973, Monterey, California
- Stanford University, B.S., Biology, 1974, Stanford, California
- Stanford University Medical School, M.D., 1978, Stanford, California
Graduation with honors and distinction, Stanford University
Phi Beta Kappa
General Surgery Internship, University of California, Los Angeles, 1978-1979
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, University of California, Los Angeles, 1979-1983
- A.O. Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship, Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany, Fall 1983
- Arthroscopy Fellowship with Norman Sprague, III, M.D., Los Angeles, California, 1984
- Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, San Diego, California, 1985-1986
CURRENT POSITIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
- Orthopaedic Surgery Private Practice, President West Bay Orthopaedic Medical Group, Daly City, California, 1989-present
- Consulting Orthopaedic Surgeon, Peninsula Orthopaedic Associates
- Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery Department, Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
- Chief Medical Officer, KuraMD, telehealth company.
- Consulting advisor, PrognoCis EHR and ePatients health networking companies
POST GRADUATE EXPERIENCE
- Attending Orthopaedist, Kern Medical Center, Bakersfield, California, 1983-1987
- Physician Specialist, Olympic Village Polyclinic, 1984 Summer Olympics, Los Angeles, California
- Director of Industrial Medicine, Medi-Center, Bakersfield, California 1984-1985
- Private Practice, Los Angeles, California, 1986-1988
- Director of Medical Operations, CBL Medical, Inc., Los Angeles, California 1986-1993
- Researcher, Joint Mechanics Laboratory, Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, La Jolla, California, 1986-1990
- Co-Founder and Director, American Telemedix, Inc., San Mateo, California, 1991-1996
- Medical Director and founding board member, Northern California Orthopaedic Medical Group, 1998-2009.
- Chairman, Orthopaedic Surgery Department, and Executive Committee, Seton Medical Center, 2004-2010
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Mills-Peninsula Medical Group, 2005-2014.
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, 1989-1994
- Instructor, San Francisco Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program, 1989-1998
- President, California Orthopaedic Association, 2013-2014
- President, San Mateo County Medical Association, 1998-1999
- Trustee, California Medical Association Board of Trustees, 1999-2009
- Chair, California Medical Association Council on Information Technology, 2008-2013
- Chair Board of Councilors/Board of Specialty Societies Bylaws Committee, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2010-2012
- Executive Committee, Board of Councilors, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2009-2012
- Councilor, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Board of Councilors, 2006-2012
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, California Orthopaedic Association, 2006-present
- San Mateo County Medical Association Board of Directors, 1997-2009
- Secretary-Treasurer, San Mateo County Medical Association, 1997-1998
- Delegate, California Medical Association House of Delegates, 1998-present
- Board of Directors, San Mateo County Health Care Foundation, 1997-1999
- Health Care Systems Committee, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Resolutions Committee, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- California State Health Information Technology Financial Advisory Commission
- Executive Committee, Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
- Practice Empowerment Program Technical Advisory Committee (Chairperson), California Medical Association
- Future of Medicare Technical Advisory Committee, California Medical Association
- Regional Health Information Organization Committee, California Medical Association
- Vice-chair, Workers Compensation Technical Advisory Committee, California Medical Association
- Workers Compensation Committee, California Orthopaedic Association
- Technology Committee (Chairperson), Budget and Finance Committee, Legislative Committee, San Mateo County Medical Association
- Medical Policy Committee, Mills-Peninsula Medical Group
- Medical Advisory Committee, Physicians Surgery Center
- Nominations Committee, California Medical Association
- California State Medical License, 1979-present
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1979
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1992
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Qualified Medical Evaluator, certified by Industrial Medical Council, State of California
MEDICAL STAFF AFFILIATIONS:
- Mills-Peninsula Hospital, Burlingame, California, 1989-present
- Campus Surgery Center, 2006-present
- Seton Medical Center, Daly City, California, 1989-present
- San Mateo County Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Bay Area Knee Society
- San Mateo County Task Force on Violence, Physician Representative
- Public and Environmental Health Committee Chairperson, SMCMA
- Volunteer Physician, Rotacare Clinic
- Healthy Community Collaborative of San Mateo County, Physician Representative
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS:
Research Assistant, Palo Alto Veterans Hospital, 1974. Development of Quantitative Staining Techniques.
Research Assistant, Stanford University Medical School, Division of Plastic Surgery, 1977-1978, Fascicular Microsurgical Nerve Repair Techniques.
Computer Analysis of Rhythm Entrainment, Stanford University, Biology Honors Thesis, 1974, Falconer Bioscience Library.
Results of Revisions for Aseptic Failed Knee Arthroplasties, Kim, L. and Finerman, G., presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, March 15, 1983, Anaheim, California), Orthopaedic Transactions, Volume 7, Number 3, p. 535, 1983.
The Effect of Total Knee Arthroplasty on Tibial Rotation and Quadriceps Forces, Kim, L., Colwell, C., (presented at the Annual Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, San Francisco, California, 1987), Transactions of the Orthopaedic Research Society, 1987.
Arthroscopic Evaluation and Treatment of the Previously Operated Knee, Christie, W., Kim, L., and Sprague, N., Arthroscopy, The Journal of Arthroscopy and Related Surgery, Vol. 4, p,194-199, 1988.
Reference Pricing: What does It Mean to You and Your Practice, Leslie H. Kim, William Kumler, and Alexandra Page, AAOS Now, January 2014.
Two Ways to Achieve Hospital-Physician Alignment, Craig P. Mahoney, Leslie H. Kim, and Kyle Shah, AAOS Now, September, 2015.